Packed full of the spice of North Africa, a tagine is a traditional Moroccan stew that can be made in any cast iron or clay dish.
For an extra touch of authenticity, serve the tagine with preserved lemons.
- 500g chicken thigh fillets or whole chicken pieces
- 5ml cumin
- 5ml ground cloves
- 10ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 10 to 15 pitted green or black olives
- 150ml of Serena Couscous
- 400g tin of Serena Chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Thick plain yoghurt and flatbreads, to serve
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over high heat, brown the chicken pieces in the olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Next, fry the onion until translucent. Sprinkle over the spices and stir to combine. Add in the crushed garlic before pouring over the chicken stock.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pot along with the olives.
- Transfer the tagine into a cast iron or clay ovenproof dish with a lid and bake in a preheated 160°C oven for 1 hour or until the chicken is falling apart.
- Finally, add in the drained Serena Chickpeas and gently stir through.
- Cook the Serena Couscous according to packet instructions.
- Serve the tagine dished over the couscous and sprinkled with fresh parsley, accompanied by thick yoghurt and flatbreads.
Serena Products Used in this Recipe
RECIPES USING SIMILAR PRODUCTS
Review Our Recipe