Packed full of the spice of North Africa, a tagine is a traditional Moroccan stew that can be made in any cast iron or clay dish.
For an extra touch of authenticity, serve the tagine with preserved lemons.
- 500g chicken thigh fillets or whole chicken pieces
- 5ml cumin
- 5ml ground cloves
- 10ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 10 to 15 pitted green or black olives
- 150ml of Serena Couscous
- 400g tin of Serena Chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Thick plain yoghurt and flatbreads, to serve
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over high heat, brown the chicken pieces in the olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Next, fry the onion until translucent. Sprinkle over the spices and stir to combine. Add in the crushed garlic before pouring over the chicken stock.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pot along with the olives.
- Transfer the tagine into a cast iron or clay ovenproof dish with a lid and bake in a preheated 160°C oven for 1 hour or until the chicken is falling apart.
- Finally, add in the drained Serena Chickpeas and gently stir through.
- Cook the Serena Couscous according to packet instructions.
- Serve the tagine dished over the couscous and sprinkled with fresh parsley, accompanied by thick yoghurt and flatbreads.
Serena Products Used in this Recipe
RECIPES USING SIMILAR PRODUCTS